Richard Suter, accused in boy's patio death, abducted, beaten, lawyer says
Suter awaiting trial on impaired driving causing death charge in Geo Mounsef's death
Richard Suter, the man accused of killing two-year-old Geo Mounsef by driving his SUV onto a restaurant patio, was abducted and seriously assaulted, his lawyer said Friday.
Dino Bottos said Suter, 64, was at his home around 11 p.m. on Thursday when he heard a loud knock on the door.
- Man accused of killing child in patio crash granted bail
- Edmonton driver, 62, charged in boy's patio death
- Supporters protest bail in boy's patio death
According to Bottos, Suter opened the door to see a number of assailants who blindfolded him and forced him into a vehicle.
Suter was then driven to a roadside in Edmonton’s south where he was beaten “severely,” said Bottos.
After the alleged attackers left, Suter was able to flag down a passing driver who called 911.
EMS then took Suter to the hospital, where he remains with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. A source told CBC News that Suter’s thumb had been cut off.
Bottos also said the assault on his client was not the first of its kind. In August 2013, Suter's wife was also assaulted while getting into her car in a mall parking lot, though less seriously.
Bottos would not comment on whether the incidents are related to Suter’s upcoming trial, which has been set for later this year.
Geo Mounsef and his family were sitting at Ric’s Grill at 142nd Street and 23rd Avenue on May 19, 2013, when an SUV suddenly accelerated and pinned him to the wall.
Suter was charged with impaired driving causing death, two counts of impaired driving causing bodily harm and refusing to give a breath sample.