Propane blast sends 1 to hospital
One person is in hospital after a propane tank inside a vehicle exploded in downtown Edmonton on Friday night.
Officials say the explosion happened at about 10:30 p.m. local time near 90th Street and 105A Avenue.
One man was taken to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.
Tracy Cook lives in a nearby apartment building and heard the explosion.
"I just heard and felt this loud explosion to the point where I thought something exploded in the building so I got up and ran outside and … I kind of heard in the distance someone screaming," she said.
Tim Wilson, who speaks for Edmonton Fire Rescue Services, said the explosion was caused by a leak in one of three propane tanks in the trunk of the vehicle.
"When the driver got in his car he could smell propane," Wilson said. "He opened up the window and started the car and that's when explosion occurred."
Wilson said the blast was so strong the doors of the vehicle buckled and the trunk blew open.
Fire officials are investigating.