Edmonton

Oberg backs away from making misconduct allegations

Alberta Tory leadership candidate Lyle Oberg called a news conference to allege misconduct on another candidate's campaign, then backed away from revealing details Wednesday.
Alberta Tory leadership candidateLyle Obergcalled anews conference to allege misconduct on another candidate's campaign, then backed away from revealing details Wednesday.
Lyle Oberg planned to reveal all the details of the alleged misconduct at a news conference Tuesday morning. ((CBC News))

"The bottom line on this is, I would have loved to bring this out," he told the gathered reporters in Edmonton."And I may well bring this out at some time in the future, but I am very concerned about the people involved, and I am protecting the people involved."

Oberg wouldn't revealwhat the alleged misconduct is or which candidate is implicated.

Oberg's approach was quickly criticized by Jim Dinning, one of the eight candidateshoping to be the new Tory leader and premier after a Nov. 25 vote.

"If he's got some serious concerns, raise them with party officials," Dinning said. "Don't raise them at a press conference."

But, headded,"in politics these days, absolutely nothing surprises me."

'Broader stroke terms'

Obergtold reportershe received information earlier this week from sources within the legislature.He said he had decided to keep the information confidential at the last minuteto protect his sources, who are concerned about their jobs.

After the news conference, spokesman Sean Libin said Obergwas planning tocall party officials and other campaign offices Wednesday afternoonto talk about his concerns in "broader stroke terms."

Libin said some ofOberg's sourcesmay step forward in the next day or two.

The Strathmore-Brooks MLA sat as an independent earlier this year after caucus members voted to suspend him.

One of the comments that got him ousted was a claim thathe knew where the government's"skeletons" were.

With files from Canadian Press