More details revealed in Hobbema shooting that killed boy
More details surrounding the killing of five-year-old Ethan Yellowbird emerged in a Wetaskiwin courtroom on Wednesday.
Earlier this month, three teens pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the shooting that killed the boy as he slept in his father's house on the Samson Reserve on July 11, 2011.
On Wednesday, Ethan's mother, Charmaine Yellowbird, described her loss as she read her victim impact statement in court.
"I have an ache in my heart for my son that will never go away," she said.
According to a statement of facts filed in court, the teens, who were then 17, 16 and 13, came up with a plan to shoot at the house.
After they arrived around 3 a.m., the oldest boy used a rifle to fire the first shot above and over the house. He handed the gun to the other boys who fired two shots each at the home.
One of the bullets hit and killed Ethan as he slept inside.
The youths picked up the shell casings, put them in a hat and ran away. It is not clear why the youths decided to shoot at that house.
"Sitting there today regarding Ethan is like probably just as hard to deal with as the day that we lost him," said his grandmother Debbie Buffalo outside the courthouse.
The youths will return to court for sentencing on Jan. 30.
With files from the CBC's James Hees and The Canadian Press