Jonathan Denis' 'legal proceedings' subject to publication ban
Premier announced resignation Saturday, Denis calls it "a court action involving a private family matter"
UPDATE added June 19, 2020: In a Feb. 23, 2019 court ruling, Justice John Rooke found there was no basis for the allegations against Jonathan Denis. The judge ruled Denis' ex-wife Breanna Palmer "lied to the court" and there was no evidence to suggest Palmer had ever been abused by Jonathan Denis.
The "legal proceedings" that led Alberta's justice minister to resign from cabinet can't be publicly revealed because of a publication ban, CBC News has learned.
Jonathan Denis's estranged wife appeared before a family court judge in a Calgary courtroom Friday afternoon, for a private hearing.
An order was issued by Judge Lynn Cook-Stanhope following Friday's hearing and cannot be reported, due to a publication ban.
Sources tell CBC News that Calgary police were called to the couple's home earlier this month. No charges were laid.
On Saturday, Premier Jim Prentice announced that he had asked for Denis' resignation, citing unspecified "legal proceedings."
In an interview with the Calgary Herald, Prentice provided few details on the legal proceedings, saying only they were not criminal and were not related to a divorce.
"Given the involvement of the courts, I have asked for and received the resignation of the Minister of Justice and Solicitor General," Prentice wrote in the announcement.
Minutes later, Denis sent a statement that said he was involved in "a court action involving a family matter." He didn't provide any further details, but implied that it was related to recent "difficulties" in his marriage.
Despite his resignation, Denis said he will continue to run as the PC candidate in Calgary- Acadia.
Jeffrey Wise, a family lawyer, appeared on Denis' behalf in a Calgary courtroom Monday morning, where he requested a private hearing with Judge Cook-Stanhope. The request was denied.
With files from Meghan Grant