Edmonton

Tests find no poison in Halloween candy parents were told to throw out

Halloween candy that police in Alberta told parents to throw away after a child became ill has turned out to be poison-free.

An orange candy with a black centre was said to have made one Clive, Alta. child ill

Tests from the RCMP laboratory showed no signs of common poisons or drugs in the candy. (Danielle Nerman/CBC)

Halloween candy that police in Alberta told parents to throw away after a child became ill has turned out to be poison-free.

RCMP said in early November a parent told them a child had gone trick-or-treating in Clive and ate a piece of sugar candy, about the size of a loonie, that was orange with a back centre.

The child's symptoms were pale skin, dilated pupils and breaking out into a sweat.

After urging people to discard any candy that matched the description, Mounties say they now have test results on the sweets from the RCMP laboratory.

The results state that no drugs or common poisons were detected in the candy.

No one else became ill, and police say they're closing the case.

now