Edmonton

Some Fort McMurray front-line workers skeptical of June 1 re-entry date

A retired firefighter and a front-line worker are questioning the safety of allowing evacuees to return to Fort McMurray next week.

Worried about water quality and health care, worker says he won't bring his children home next week

A mobile urgent-care centre has been set up in the parking lot of the Syncrude Sport and Wellness Centre, which is at Keyano College. It has an operating room, an anesthesiologist, an obstetrician capable of doing surgery, and a general surgeon. (Alberta Health Services)

Emergency experts are raising safety concerns about the timeline for the return of evacuees to Fort McMurray.

Just a week before the scheduled voluntary re-entry, retired firefighter Gareth Norris said firefighters are still putting out hot spots while waist-deep pits of ash smoulder around the city.

"These areas are still hot and are a potential danger for house fires should the wind pick up and carry this ash into town," said Norris, who worked with the Fort McMurray Fire Department for 17 years and trained some of those currently on the front line.

Last week, the province announced plans for a phased re-entry starting June 1, based on several conditions. Among them, the fire must no longer be an imminent threat to the city, with supplies of potable water available and reasonable air quality. 
Retired Fort McMurray firefighter Gareth Norris believes it's too risky to bring his daughters, aged 13 and 11, back to Fort McMurray next week.

Norris said he is troubled by a government handbook that tells returning residents to bring two weeks' worth of food, drinking water and an N-95 respirator mask.

"Why would we need that if it was OK to come in and breathe the air?" asked Norris, who left during the mass evacuation but said he is in regular contact with first responders who have expressed concerns.

"To me, that means it's not safe," he said. "If you're telling me to bring everything I need to camp in my home, and a dust mask, and don't let my animals out into the ashes, and definitely not my children — then there's an issue."

He plans to leave his children in Edmonton when he returns next week to check on his home and business.

'It's definitely a threat'

A front-line worker currently in Fort McMurray told CBC News he won't bring his two small children home any time soon.

He's worried about the safety of the water and available health care, as well as hot spots throughout the city.

"If it was like this on the day they were re-entering I would definitely be cautious about it," said the first responder, who agreed to speak with CBC News on condition of anonymity. "It's definitely a threat."

If my kid gets sick, I want them to have the best care possible, not being looked at in a tent.- Fort McMurray front-line worker

He said he empathizes with those who feel the need to return, but as a father, ​he feels it's not safe.

"You need a fully functioning hospital to be ready, because if my kid gets sick, I want them to have the best care possible, not being looked at in a tent."

But he said he personally feels safe, and he's pleased to see the amount of work being done to get the city ready.

"They are working their butts off to make it safe," he said of workers restoring gas, electricity and water. "They are trying to make it safe by the time you get up here."

Re-entry on track, despite air quality concerns

On Tuesday evening, the air quality index was considered low risk at three on a scale of one to 10, but Norris said that could easily change. Just nine days ago, it was 38. 

Fort McMurray's rehearsal for resident's return

7 years ago
Duration 1:41
The big move needs some serious planning for traffic and the town's services, which will be hard pressed right away

He said the index does not address potential lethal combinations of chemicals including carcinogens from burnt material during the salvage and overhaul phase.

Norris said there are entire communities in this phase. 

"I'm not sure I want anyone I know to be breathing that in, especially my kids," Norris said. 
Residents are being told to take a No. 95 mask with them when they return to Fort McMurray.

He also expressed concern about conflicting information from officials: the re-entry handbook says water can be used for bathing but an alcohol-based hand sanitizer must be used after hand washing.

The province said Tuesday it was still working toward next week's re-entry, and that restoration on the hospital began Sunday.

"We are still on track for a voluntary phased re-entry, beginning June 1," Municipal Affairs Minister Danielle Larivee said.

"But I remind all Wood Buffalo residents that all services will not be fully operational by then, and there may be people who choose to wait as a result."​

andrea.huncar@cbc.ca

@andreahuncar

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Andrea Huncar

Reporter

Andrea Huncar reports on human rights and justice. Contact her in confidence at andrea.huncar@cbc.ca

now