Fire on rural property in Beaumont proves challenging for crews
Ground conditions, presence of propane complicate effort
Fire crews from several counties were called to a massive blaze Sunday evening just south of Edmonton.
Just before 7 p.m., fire departments from Edmonton, Beaumont and Leduc County were called to a blaze at a rural property near Beaumont. CBC News has been told the property is called Villetard's.
The fire started in one of the outbuildings but quickly spread to four others. Several propane tanks exploded, but no one was injured. The main home was not damaged.
The buildings were being used for the storage of several pieces of equipment and textiles. Getting to the scene was a challenge to firefighters due to mud, and they had to run in hand lines.
"We're having a hard time dealing with the wind - it's very windy and the mud as well," said Leduc County Deputy Chief Tylor Bennett. "It's a rural property so we don't have any hydrants and we're having to deal with water shuttles from Beaumont."
Fire crews expected to have the blaze under control overnight and are planning to be on scene until at least the morning.
There is no word yet on damages.