Edmonton

Fire crews called to vacant west-central Edmonton home

A bungalow at 107th Avenue and 125th Street may still be standing thanks to the vigilance of a neighbour who saw smoke billowing from the chimney Saturday evening.

Neighbour knew home was vacant and called fire department

The fire started in the basement and spread to the attic. (Zoe Todd/CBC)

A vigilant neighbour may be to thank for salvaging a bungalow at 107th Avenue and 125th Street that caught fire Saturday evening. 

Edmonton fire crews were called to the vacant home just after 5:30 p.m. When they arrived, they saw smoke coming from the front of the house.

John Iwaniuk of Edmonton Fire Services said seven units successfully contained the fire to one home. 

Seven fire units were sent to the bungalow at 10714 125th Street Saturday evening around 5 p.m. (Zoe Todd/CBC)

Iwaniuk said the weather was a factor for fire crews, who battled the cold conditions in addition to the flames. 

"We're dealing with the tail end of this cold snap, so command was very cognizant of that," Iwaniuk said. 

He said he hopes warmer temperatures are on the horizon.

"This is, we're hoping, the very end of this [weather]," he said. "Anytime there's extreme weather, there's going to be an added element to it."