Edmonton

Fire destroys north Edmonton home

The fire that destroyed a home in north Edmonton Thursday morning was caused by a cigarette stubbed in a planter full of peat moss.

Firefighters manage to limit damage at neighbouring homes to melted siding.

Firefighters fight a fire at a north Edmonton home Thursday morning. (Dave Bajer/CBC)

The fire that destroyed a home in north Edmonton Thursday morning was caused by a cigarette stubbed in a planter full of peat moss. 

The call came in at 9:15 a.m. By the time firefighters arrived, the house at 12403-171st Avenue was fully engulfed in flames. 

The fire started in the rear of the house near the patio and climbed the siding into the eaves.

Damage is estimated at  $380,000. 

The residents managed to escape safely.  Firefighters were able to limit damage at neighbouring homes to melted siding. 

Edmonton Fire Chief Ken Block warned last month that  improperly extinguished cigarettes have caused some of the city's most devastating fires in apartments and condominiums. 

now