Father at centre of Amber Alert near Hinton, Alta., faces charges
None of the charges relate to 14-month-old son
A father whose 14-month-old son was the subject of an Amber Alert last week now faces several criminal charges after the child was found unharmed and the dad was taken into custody Friday.
RCMP say the 41-year-old is charged with choking while committing an assault, uttering threats, mischief under $5,000, unauthorized possession of a firearm and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.
None of the charges relate to the child, RCMP Cpl. Laurel Scott said Tuesday. Scott previously said two of the charges — uttering threats and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose — were related to the child.
Scott said the father was not charged with abduction because what happened "didn't meet the elements of the offence of abduction."
However, Scott said the situation "did meet the threshold of an Amber Alert because there was a threat to the child."
The alert went out about 2:30 a.m. on Friday for the boy after the Mounties said he was taken from his father's home in the hamlet of Brule, about 315 kilometres west of Edmonton.
Police also said the father was armed with a rifle when he drove away with the boy in his truck.
On Friday afternoon, the RCMP said the home had been cleared but the vehicle was found back at the same location and they said the man had surrendered to officers at his home.
The man, who remains in custody, is set to appear in Hinton provincial court on Jan. 15.