Edmonton woman upset after school bus strands granddaughter for more than an hour

An Edmonton woman is complaining after her granddaughter waited more than an hour for a school bus Tuesday morning.

Transportation company says delay was caused by a driver no-show

Buses sit at Southland Transportation's private yard located at 8220 48 Ave. N.E. in Calgary. (CBC)

An Edmonton woman is complaining after her granddaughter waited more than an hour for a school bus Tuesday morning.

Terri Oliver, who lives in Mill Woods, said her 11-year-old granddaughter stood outside with other children in the Ellerslie area, waiting for her school bus. The girl eventually called her mother, who left work and took her to school in southeast Edmonton.

Oliver said she's still angry about the incident.

"My grandkids are pretty important to me," Oliver told CBC's Radio Active Wednesday.

"They deserve to be taken care of."

Oliver and her daughter contacted Southland Transportation and voiced their concerns.

"We had a driver no-show and by the time we got the spare driver in and on the route, it was running late," said Lindy Crosbie, general manager of Southland Transportation.

She said the company posts alerts online when buses are running more than 10 minutes late. Oliver said her daughter monitors her son's bus via GPS alerts, but that the alerts have never worked for her daughter's bus.

Southland Transportation sent another bus to transport the children. Crosbie did not say how long the delay lasted.

Oliver, who drove a truck for 20 years and a school bus in Whitecourt during the 1990s, said companies should have protocols in place to prevent lengthy delays.

"In any job, is that not due diligence, and if we're dealing with children, should that not be a little more stressed?"

Crosbie would not say whether any disciplinary action was taken against the driver but said she has apologized to the family.

"Safety is our number one core value so we strive to make sure all kids get safely home," she said.

Oliver said her granddaughter rode the school bus Wednesday morning. Her mother waited nearby until it showed up.

With files from Ken Dawson


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.