Edmonton condo sues exterminator over bedbug fire
Royal Scot fire started by exterminator using propane to get rid condo of pests
An Edmonton condo corporation is suing a pest control company for nearly $4 million for a fire in July two years ago.
Four residents were injured in the July 11, 2010 fire at the 50-suite Royal Scot Condominium at 92nd Street and 105th Avenue while damages totalled $3.5 million.
The Calgary-based company, Bed Bug Task Force, was using a propane heater to exterminate a fourth-floor suite.
The heater ignited and a fire quickly spread through the building.
The condo corporation claims the company failed to properly train and supervise its employees.
It is also suing the individual employees, as well as the tenant who contracted the company.
Bed Bug Task Force and the employees deny any negligence.
The company was fined $10,000 last year under the Alberta Fire Code for the fire.
With files from Jennie Russell