Edmonton

Carbon monoxide leak at church sends 44 to hospital

Dozens of people attending a church function in Edmonton needed medical treatment after they were exposed to carbon monoxide.

Dozens of people attending a church function in Edmonton needed medical treatment after they were exposed to carbon monoxide.

Forty-four people were sent to hospital Sunday night after they showed symptoms of exposure to the deadly gas at First Baptist Church at 100th Avenue and 109th Street

Health officials say the exposure level was low, but some people showed more symptoms of poisoning than others.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas produced by burning material containing carbon. Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea and fatigue, but prolonged exposure can cause brain damage and death.

Emergency crews traced the leak in the church to work being done on a boiler. The church was ventilated and deemed safe late Sunday night.

now