Edmonton

Apartment blaze caused by propane heater

Edmonton fire investigators say the fire that injured four people at the Royal Scot Apartments on July 12 was started by a propane heater being used to exterminate bedbugs in a fourth-floor suite.

Edmonton fire investigators say the fire that injured four people at the Royal Scot Apartments on July 12 was started by a propane heater being used to exterminate bedbugs in a fourth-floor suite.

Although the cause of the fire has been determined, investigators are continuing to review the circumstances of the blaze, which began on the top floor of the building at 92nd Street and 105th Avenue just after 1:30 p.m.

Four people were taken to hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Officials have also upped the damage estimate by $1 million, to $4.5 million, including $100,000 in damages to a neighbouring mosque and an apartment building.

According to resident Natasha Johnson, management said people whose suites weren't damaged in the 50-unit building might be allowed to return within 30 days, but it could be eight to 10 months before the others are allowed to go back.