Edmonton

Alvin Boles' murder charge to be dropped in Busby, Alta., killings

For the past two years, Alvin Boles, 72, has been living as an accused killer. That is likely to change Tuesday morning.

Boles expected to plead guilty to pointing a firearm and unlawfully causing bodily harm

Alvin Boles, 72, was charged with murder and manslaughter after his son, 46, and his son's friend, 37, were shot to death in Boles' home on Dec. 28, 2013. (CBC)

For the past two years, Alvin Boles, 72,  has been living as an accused killer. That is likely to change Tuesday morning.

Boles is charged with manslaughter in the shooting death of his 46-year-old son Kevin and second-degree murder in the  killing of his son's friend, Curtis Perrin, 37.

The violence took place in Bole's own home near Busby, Alta., on Dec. 28, 2013.

With the jury selected last week, Boles' trial was set to begin in an Edmonton courtroom Monday morning, but after a one-hour delay, Justice Kenneth Nielsen called the four men and eight women jury members into the courtroom to tell them the trial would not be going ahead.  

"We were all ready to go as I know you were," he told them. "You got all dressed up with nowhere to go.

"You are now discharged."  

After the jury members, many smiling, left the courtroom, the judge was told the Crown and defence have reached a plea agreement.  

Boles is expected to plead guilty Tuesday to pointing a firearm and the unusual charge of unlawfully causing bodily harm.

The prosecutor tells CBC once those guilty pleas are entered, they plan to withdraw the much more serious charges.

This is a crime that rocked the tiny hamlet of Busby, ​about 65 km north of Edmonton.

Boles' lawyer called him a highly-respected member of the community with no criminal record.

The courtroom Monday was packed with his supporters.

An agreed statement of facts will be presented in court Tuesday morning that should explain the sequence of events that led to the shootings and why the murder and manslaughter charges are being dropped.

Boles remains free on bail and likely won't be sentenced until the new year.