Canada

Canadian soldier wounded in Afghanistan dies

A Canadian soldier who was wounded in Afghanistan last month has died of his injuries in a Quebec City hospital, the military said Sunday.

A Canadian soldier who was wounded in Afghanistan last month has died of his injuries in a Quebec City hospital, the military said Sunday.

Master Cpl. Charles-Philippe Michaud died Saturday after being wounded last month in a roadside bomb blast southwest of Kandahar city. ((DND))

Master Cpl. Charles-Philippe Michaud was hurt on June 23 when an improvised explosive device detonated near his dismounted patrol in the Panjwaii district, southwest of Kandahar city, the Canadian Forces said in a statement.

He was evacuated by helicopter to the coalition medical facility at Kandahar Airfield and then moved to the Landstuhl Regional Medical Centre in Germany.

He arrived in Quebec City on June 28 and succumbed to his injuries on Saturday afternoon. A military spokesman said he never regained consciousness.

Michaud, 28, who is from Edmundston, N.B., is survived by his wife, parents, and brother.

He was serving with the 2nd Battalion of the Royal 22nd Regiment (also known as the Van Doos), based at CFB Valcartier, near Quebec City. He was on his second tour of duty in Afghanistan.

"I am deeply saddened to learn of the news," said Canadian Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance, commander of coalition forces in Kandahar province.

"Master Cpl. Charles-Philippe Michaud, or Chuck as he was called by his friends, was a proud member of the [22nd Royal Regiment] and a dedicated soldier who never gave up and was always concerned about the well-being of those around him."

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said he knew of Michaud's "heroic battle to survive severe injuries" and offered his condolences to the soldier's family.

"We honour his sacrifice," Harper said in a written statement. "We stand by our troops and allies in the struggle to bring Afghans a better future and make Canadians safer."

Michaud's death brings to 122 the number of Canadian soldiers who have been killed in the Afghan mission since it began in 2002.

On Friday, Cpl. Nick Bulger, 30, of the 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton, was killed when the convoy he was in struck a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan's Zhari district.

The body of the fallen soldier, who grew up near Peterborough, Ont., was scheduled to arrive in Canada around 2 p.m. ET on Monday.