11 new job training programs will help 1,100 unemployed Albertans, province says
'Integrated Training' programs tailored to labour market needs in 9 communities, province says
Alberta is spending $10 million over the next two years to expand its employment training programs, adding 11 programs across the province that it says will help about 1,100 unemployed or underemployed people learn new skills.
"Education and skills training are among the best investments we can make to ensure a strong and diversified economy," Labour Minister Christina Gray said at an announcement in Calgary at Motive-Action Training Foundation, one of the province's partners.
The new "Integrated Training" programs will be located in a number of different communities and will be operated for the province by several private agencies.
They will give participants hands-on learning experience, including at least one work placement opportunity.
That was good news for Karl Herzog, the executive director of Motive-Action Training Foundation.
The agency works with unemployed youth who lack education, experience and contacts.
"Integrated training programs provide an opportunity for these youth to develop the skills and attitudes needed to build a better life, support their families and contribute to their communities," he said in a release.
The new programs will be tailored to the specific labour market demands in each community, the province says.
- Calgary: Construction pre-trades program offered by McBride Career Group Inc.
- Calgary: Youth entry level trades offered by Motive-Action Training Foundation.
- Calgary: LevelUp leadership skills for supervisory roles offered by WCG International Consultants Ltd.
- Cardston, Lethbridge, Pincher Creek: Agriculture, construction, oilfield and truck driving offered by Training Inc.
- Edmonton: Professional insurance agent offered by Ballad Consulting Group.
- Edmonton: Building information modelling offered by Bredin Centre for Learning.
- Edmonton: Early learning and child-care development (ELCC) offered by McBride Career Group.
- Lethbridge: Building futures construction offered by Teamwork Training.
- Lethbridge: Office administration and accounting offered by Teamwork Training.
- Lloydminster: Office administration and skill development offered by 3A Academy.
- Medicine Hat and Brooks: Commercial Driver Training and Industry Preparedness offered by Connections Career and Safety Services.