Calgary

Calgary boy seriously burned by hot Tim Hortons tea has father looking for answers

A Calgary father is asking Tim Hortons to turn down the heat after his three-year-old son was seriously burned by very hot tea in the hopes that it doesn’t happen to anyone else.

WARNING: This story contains a graphic image

The father says his son was badly burned Wednesday when some very hot tea was spilled on him. (Supplied)

UPDATE JULY 16, 2016: CBC News agreed to remove the name and some photos of the father and his son from this article at his request, because he said he and his family were being excessively harassed on social media. He said the people attacking him online do not seem to realize that he took responsibility for his son's injury and was not suing Tim Hortons. He said he went public to draw attention to the dangers of what he feels is the excessively hot temperature of beverages served and highlight how badly his son was burned. He is urging the restaurant to serve beverages at a lower temperature and to train staff in first aid at each restaurant.

A Calgary father is asking Tim Hortons to turn down the heat after his three-year-old son was seriously burned by very hot tea in hopes that it doesn't happen to anyone else.

"His screams were horrible," the father said with tears in his eyes while describing the moment hot tea spilled on his son.

He and his two sons were at the Tim Hortons on 16th Avenue N.W. in the city Wednesday morning when a large cup of tea was knocked over onto the toddler. The father says he thinks it happened when he was momentarily looking the other way.

The boy's leg, arm and stomach were badly burned when a cup of very hot tea got knocked over onto the boy. (Supplied)

"His skin — that outer layer of skin — was like wet tissue paper. There were just all these little folds," he said.

The father said other customers and staff tried to help.

"One having a bucket of water, others having a fistful of ice, some people having napkins."

But when the scene became chaotic, he asked the crowd to back off and they rushed the boy to the nearby Alberta Children's Hospital.

"Thankfully there was no queue," he said.

"The triage nurse took [my son] from me and we went straight into emergency.… One of the nurses kept remarking on she's never seen such a short amount of time between somebody having a burn and being here and that was going to make a big difference."

The boy suffered serious burns to his thighs, left arm and stomach and his father has sent a complaint to Tim Hortons.

"If he'd been wearing shorts like his brother, I can't imagine what would have happened," the father said.

"Accidents happen but I can't believe that the tea needed to be that scalding hot."

He also says there should be staff trained in first aid working in each restaurant.

Tim Hortons said in a statement they are aware of the incident and are reviewing the matter further with the restaurant owner.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.