Tenant charged with arson in attic fire
A Calgary man has been charged with arson following a fire in a southwest multi-family home.
Police said the 21-year-old man lived in the 14th Avenue S.W. house. He was a tenant in the attic where the fire started on Aug. 8 in the afternoon.
No one was home at the time. A passerby who noticed smoke alerted fire fighters.
Firefighters were able to stop the blaze from spreading to other parts of the home and later found a propane tank in the space, which they suspected was intended to accelerate the flames.
No one was hurt and firefighters rescued a cat.
The house was divided into three separate suites and all seven people living in the water-damaged house had to move out.