Bomb threats in Taber made by U.S. man with no connection to town
Justin Bagley from Illinois allegedly used an app that listens to emergency services' radio transmissions
A man arrested in the United States for allegedly calling in fake bomb threats to places in Taber has no known connection to the southern Alberta town, according to police.
Detectives in Illinois said Justin Bagley of Elkville selected the community through an app that allows people to listen to radio transmissions of emergency services.
Bagley allegedly called in 10 bomb threats to two schools, a hospital, a bank and a Walmart in Taber between Feb. 7 and Feb. 10.
Taber police chief Graham Abela said they worked with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to obtain a subpoena for phone records associated with the suspected phone number and linked Bagley to the calls.
He faces 10 counts of felony disorderly conduct in the U.S., according to a statement from the Jackson County Sheriff's Office.
Taber police said they are not currently contemplating additional charges in Canada.
Bagley was previously convicted in 2005 and served a jail sentence in the United States for a similar offence.
- MORE ALBERTA NEWS | Tenant says Calgary Housing left her with broken furnace in –29 C weather over weekend
- MORE ALBERTA NEWS | Copper wire thefts at oilfield sites cause $300K in damage
- Read more articles by CBC Calgary, like us on Facebook for updates and subscribe to our CBC Calgary newsletter for the day's news at a glance.
With files from Lethbridge News Now