50 charges laid after more than 10 kg of cocaine, fentanyl, other drugs seized in Alberta bust
Multi-agency investigation began in Red Deer last summer
A drug bust in Red Deer last summer that netted one of the largest ever seizures in that city has culminated in the arrest of three suspects, who face a total of 50 charges, RCMP say.
Police began investigating the suspected central Alberta drug trafficking operation last June, Mounties said in a release.
In collaboration with police in Calgary and Airdrie and the RCMP's federal serious and organized crime unit, investigators carried out search warrants on a vehicle and four homes in Red Deer, Calgary, Airdrie and Rocky View County on Aug. 8.
- 1.67 kg cocaine.
- 1.26 kg fentanyl.
- 1.44 kg ketamine.
- 2.61 kg methamphetamine.
- 3.5 kg cannabis.
- 261 g psilocybin (magic mushrooms).
- 22 g heroin.
- 6 litres of hydroxybutyric acid (GHB).
- More than 200 other tablets of various controlled substances (fentanyl, oxycodone, diazepam).
- 9 firearms and ammunition.
- More than $61,000 in Canadian currency.
"This is one the most significant drugs seizures we've seen in Red Deer," said RCMP Insp. Dean LaGrange in a release.
"It also serves as an important reminder to traffickers that there are consequences to trafficking drugs in this province — our members are skilled investigators trained in detection of drug trafficking and you will be caught."
Steve Tuan Minh Do, 42, of Calgary faces 40 charges, including:
- Possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking (x20).
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm (x10).
- Possession of prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition (x10).
He was released from custody after a judicial hearing and will appear in provincial court on April 3.
Beau Charles Burles, 32, of Edmonton has been charged with four counts of possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking.
Hayley Van Dellen, 32, of Edmonton has been charged with:
- Possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking (x4).
- Unauthorized possession of a prohibited weapon.
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm (x2).
Burles and Van Dellen were both released from custody and were scheduled to appear in Red Deer provincial court on March 7.