Emilio Perdomo suffered many brutal injuries before dying, document reveals as manslaughter trial date set
Warning: This story contains details that could be disturbing to some readers
The injuries that led to the death of a five-year-old Calgary boy were extensive and brutal, according to a court document released on the same day as a trial date was set for two family members charged with manslaughter.
Emilio Perdomo was brought to hospital on July 9, 2015, suffering from injuries that the accused — Allan Perdomo, 56, and wife Carolina Perdomo, 49 — said at the time were the result of numerous accidents. He died in hospital seven days later from a severe head injury.
The court document obtained Tuesday shed fresh light on those injuries, which included a brain bleed, a broken arm and bruises on his arms, face, legs, back, chest, stomach, knuckles and genitals.
The document also says the boy was not, in fact, the grandson of Allan Perdomo and the step-grandson of Carolina Perdomo, as police had earlier indicated — but the product of an affair that Allan Perdomo had with a woman in Mexico.
- MORE CRIME NEWS | Man arrested in connection with Memorial Drive crash that killed woman, critically injured another
- MORE CRIME NEWS | 'She passed away peacefully in my arms': Honey Jerry's mother describes grief at sentencing hearing
Allan Perdomo was contacted by that woman, who asked him if she could send their son to live with him in Canada, according to the search warrant application that details some of the early evidence gathered by investigators before charges were laid.
The couple's explanations that Emilio's injuries stemmed from falling down stairs, falling off his bicycle, tripping over a garden box and being knocked down by the family dog were of immediate concern to doctors at the Alberta Children's Hospital, who told police his multiple injuries were not typical.
His injuries included "a goose-egg bruise as large as you can get on the back of his head that was full of fluid," one of the doctors told Det. Michael Smith of the Calgary police child abuse unit.
"Dr. Blackwood had significant concerns that the injuries to Emilio were inflicted on him," reads the information to obtain (ITO), released Tuesday.
When Emilio arrived at the hospital, he was unresponsive and suffering from seizures.
Officers wanted to search home for blood
Doctors found bleeding on his brain and Emilio underwent emergency surgery. Doctors also noted he had an older brain bleed.
Emilio was still in hospital when Smith applied for the search warrant. Officers wanted access to the home to take measurements of the bike, stairs and garden box.
Officers were also searching for the Disney pyjamas that Emilio was wearing the night he was injured before Allan and Carolina changed the unconscious boy into jeans and took him to hospital.
They also wanted access to a computer and photos of Emilio and to look for blood inside the home using a forensic light source.
Despite the Perdomos telling investigators that Emilio had bruising when he arrived in Canada, photos taken in February and March show no obvious bruising until May when a photo shows bruises on his cheek, under his eye and on his elbow, the ITO says.
Carolina Perdomo told police that her husband had used a belt in the past to discipline Emilio.
'Covert techniques' and wiretaps planned for investigation
The Perdomos took Emilio to the hospital on July 9, 2015, and a week later the search warrant was requested.
"I believe that Emilio is the victim of aggravated assault," wrote Smith in the ITO at the time.
Smith asked a judge to seal the ITO for a year because the investigation was ongoing and police planned to use wiretaps and other "covert techniques."
On Tuesday, lawyers set a trial date of May 1, 2017, to be heard by provincial court judge alone over a six-week period.
"Our clients want this dealt with, of course, in the most expeditiously and timely manner as possible." said Brendan Miller, the lawyer who represents Carolina Perdomo.
The Perdomos have been released on bail and have been required to surrender their passports, post a surety of $5,000 and cannot have contact with each other.
The pair also face separate fraud charges, accused of lying to the Alberta government in order to collect social assistance.