Olive Oluwafemi's father charged in Calgary girl's death

A four-year-old Calgary girl suffered injuries for weeks before her death in 2014, police allege after flying her father back from Ontario and charging him with second-degree murder.

4-year-old whose father charged with 2nd-degree murder had weeks-old injuries, police say

Oluwatosin Oluwafemi was charged with second-degree murder in the death of his four-year-old daughter, Olive Rebekah Oluwafemi, who died in Calgary in 2014. (Global Calgary/Calgary Police Service)

A four-year-old Calgary girl suffered injuries for weeks before her death in 2014, police allege after charging her father with second-degree murder.

Paramedics found Olive Rebekah Oluwafemi badly injured in her home on Dec. 19, 2014, after paramedics and police responded to reports of child in distress.

The girl was found in cardiac arrest and was not breathing when crews arrived. She died a short time later in hospital.

Her father, 39-year-old Oluwatosin Oluwafemi of Keswick, Ont., was charged with second-degree murder on Wednesday.

The medical examiner deemed her death a homicide due to blunt force injuries. At that time, police said her parents were not being co-operative with investigators.

"We were initially told that Olive had fallen down the stairs," Staff Sgt. Colin Chisholm said at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.

Injuries not an accident, say police

But her injuries were not an accident, police allege. Chisholm confirmed Wednesday that the medical examiner had found Olive suffered injuries for weeks before she died.

The family members, who had lived in Calgary for about two years, moved to Ontario within weeks of the girl's death.

With help from the York Regional Police Service, Oluwafemi was arrested in Ontario on Tuesday and flown back to Calgary.

He'll makes his next court appearance on Thursday.

Though Olive's mother continues to be uncooperative with the investigation, police say no other charges are pending.

Chisholm says it's a satisfying conclusion to a year-long investigation for the homicide unit.

"It goes to show people that these are extremely important investigations," said Chisholm. "We have a very vulnerable victim in this case. We have a four-year-old girl who nobody is apparently speaking for."


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?