Calgary

N.E. fire not suspicious, officials say

A fire in northeast Calgary on Monday that officials called suspicious was in fact accidental, investigators say.

A fire in northeast Calgary on Monday that officials called suspicious was in fact accidental, investigators say.

Crews were called to the 2300 block of 56 Street N.E. at about 1:30 p.m. for reports of an explosion.

Firefighters extinguished a blaze and rescued two dogs from the smoke-filled house, officials said.

It appears that a candle placed too close to several combustibles sparked the fire, officials said on Tuesday. 

Investigators found no evidence of a large explosion, but several small aerosol containers did combust, officials said.

No criminal charges are warranted in the incident, officials said.

now