Naheed Nenshi re-elected as mayor
Naheed Nenshi beats 8 challengers
Naheed Nenshi will serve four more years as Calgary's mayor after taking 74 per cent of the vote.
Nenshi has turned from a relatively unknown underdog in the last election to what seems to be a seasoned veteran after the flooding in June. He had eight challengers in this election.
Join the conversation about the mayor's race. Post your comments below or use #yycvote or #yycmayor on Facebook and Twitter.
- Population: 1,149,552
- Total dwellings: 468,358
- Under construction: 8,050
- Percentage of home ownership: 68.50%
- Vacancy rate: 2.59%
- Fastest growing community: Evanston (1,680 additional residents)
- Largest ward: Ward 5
- Largest community: Panorama Hills
- Population during the last election in 2010: 1,071,515
- High school diploma or equivalent: 243,310*
- Post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree: 494,675*
- Average income (2010): $56,600*
- Average household total income (2010): $113,152*
*Released on Sept. 11, 2013, in Statistics Canada's National Household Survey. Information also from 2013 City of Calgary Census.