Calgary

Mission condo fire caused by discarded cigarette, says Calgary Fire Department

A burning cigarette dropped into a planter pot on a balcony was the cause of a major fire at a condo complex in the southwest Calgary community of Mission early Tuesday morning, says the Calgary Fire Department.

Residents will be out for several days after 4 units are destroyed

Four condos destroyed in Mission S.W. fire

8 years ago
Duration 0:41
Video submitted by Sébastien Kravetz, a neighbour of the building that went up in flames in Calgary's Mission S.W. neighbourhood.

A burning cigarette dropped into a planter pot on a balcony was the cause of a major fire at a condo complex in the southwest Calgary community of Mission early Tuesday morning, says the Calgary Fire Department. 

An apartment building in Mission in southwest Calgary caught fire early Tuesday morning. (Julie Prejet/Radio-Canada )

Crews were able to bring the fire quickly under control after being called to Riverview Place in the 2200 block of First Street S.W. at 5:15 a.m. MT

While preventing the blaze from engulfing the entire 66-unit building, four suites were destroyed and others were damaged by smoke and water. 

One person suffered minor burns, fire officials said in a release. 

Resident Andrea Wilkie said it was a surreal experience.

Condo also hit by 2013 flood

"Everyone's really distraught. Everyone was just getting their lives back together after the flood. Our building was hit pretty hard," she said.

Fire crews battle a fire in Mission at Riverview Place, a complex next to the Elbow River. (Andrew Brown/CBC)

Wilkie says she finally moved back into her flood-damaged apartment just two months ago. 

Stephanie Cormier woke up to the fire alarm at around 5:30 a.m. She says she was surprised at how quickly the fire grew. 

"You always think about these things happening and to actually go through it you realize how unprepared you are," she said. "Which puts a lot of things in perspective."

Residents will be out for several days while utilities and other systems in the building are checked. The Calgary Emergency Management Agency is currently providing assistance.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now