Man charged in one of two northeast Calgary shootings
35-year-old victim is in critical condition
Police have charged a man in one of two shootings that took place in northeast Calgary on Sunday.
At 1 a.m., police were called to a home in the 100 block of Martin Crossing Park N.E. for reports of a home invasion where a man had been shot.
The 35-year-old man who was shot was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries. His condition has since been updated to critical.
The Calgary Police Service said officers searched a home on Martinwood Mews N.E., where they believe an additional incident happened prior to the shooting. CPS also executed a search warrant at a house in Woodlands, in the city's southwest.
Bangamin Salviu Anny, 28, was taken into custody from a home on Woodview Terrace S.W.
He is charged with:
- Discharging a firearm with intent.
- Unlawfully possessing a firearm.
- Using a firearm during a robbery.
- Possessing a firearm without a licence.
- Possessing a firearm while prohibited.
He is set to appear in court on Nov. 5.
2nd shooting the same day
The shooting was one of two in northeast Calgary on Sunday. The second, in Skyview, also sent a man to hospital in life-threatening condition.
There have been 75 shootings in the city so far this year.
Ward 5 Coun. George Chahal says it's time to ban handguns — giving municipalities that power was a Liberal election promise.
"I think we've failed the public on this issue," he said.
Staff Sgt. Greg Cooper of the CPS guns and gangs unit said the city's gun crimes are largely related to drug trafficking.
"These shootings cause significant concern for public safety and we are actively targeting individuals that have the potential for committing violence in our city," Cooper said in an emailed release on Monday.
With files from Helen Pike