Where's the beef? Not at this well-attended vegan market in Calgary
Shopper who's new to vegetarianism describes it as 'an awakening'
Cowtown may be seeing a little reduction in beef consumption, if this weekend's vegan market is any indicator.
Organizers of the Little Vegan Fall Market in Calgary's Marda Loop area believe more than a thousand people turned out to shop for animal-free products.
- How Canada's trend of eating less meat plays out in restaurants
- Fast food chains look to capitalize on vegetarian, vegan trend with new items
- 5 Calgary restaurants make list of top 50 in Canada with vegetarian options
Kim Hirtle organized the event, inviting three dozen vendors to take part.
"It's such a nice feeling to show up to a space where everyone is living that lifestyle or they're vegan-curious or maybe they just want to see what's going on," Hirtle said.
Nan Thammanatr loves how many people want animal-free products today.
When she moved here seven years ago, she took a chance and opened her own vegan restaurant, the Thai Vegan Cafe on Macleod Trail.
"There were not many vegetarian options at all," Thammanatr said.
But now, she finds that's all changed.
"We just keep expanding."
Jenelle de Jesus is new to the lifestyle. She's been meat-free for about a year.
"It's like an awakening, that consciousness of being able to make the choice and those relationships and how we impact other beings around the world, the environmental impact," de Jesus said.
"It's kind of nice to have those conversations with more people in the community."
She's eager to get her kids to try vegan treats too.
Meanwhile, Hirtle says Saturday's event, the third of its kind, was a hit.
"It's been a steady flow of people all day long," she said with a laugh.
Just over a year ago, Hirtle started her own vegan baking company called Soy Milk and Vinegar.
"In Calgary itself, there seems to be an ever-growing population of vegans, so as they grow, the need for product will also grow and the need for services will also grow," Hirtle said.
The next event will be in the spring.
- MORE CALGARY NEWS | Body of missing Airdrie, Alta., man found in Montana
- MORE CALGARY NEWS | 9-year-old Alberta girl attacked by dog
- Read more articles by CBC Calgary, like us on Facebook for updates and subscribe to our CBC Calgary newsletter for the day's news at a glance.
With files from Kate Adach