Calgary

Trial cancelled for southern Alberta woman accused of killing mother

A murder trial for a Calgary woman accused of killing her 78-year-old mother looks like it won't be going ahead.

Lisa Freihaut pleaded not guilty in stabbing death of mother Irene Carter

Lisa Freihaut appealed for help in solving the murder of her elderly mother, Irene Carter, in April 2016. She was later charged in the stabbing. (Monty Kruger/CBC)

A murder trial for a Calgary woman accused of killing her 78-year-old mother looks like it won't be going ahead.

The Crown says it is in talks with the defence and lawyers hope to resolve the matter next month without calling evidence.

A four-week jury trial for Lisa Freihaut was scheduled for September in Lethbridge Court of Queen's Bench.

Freihaut, who is 53, pleaded not guilty last year to a charge of second-degree murder.

Police have said Irene Carter was found dead in her Lethbridge home in January 2016 from multiple stab wounds.

Freihaut made an emotional public plea the following April for any information about her mother's death, but was arrested two weeks later.

Police said at the time they believed Freihaut and Carter were arguing over finances when a physical fight broke out.

The matter is to return to court on June 11.

now