Calgary

Sleepover keeps boy out of harm's way as lightning strike sparks house fire

Property owner of northwest Calgary home says a boy's room was hit the hardest, but he was fortunate to be staying with a friend

2 residents escaped unharmed

Calgary Fire Department firefighters worked for hours to ensure all hot spots were extinguished after a lightening strike caught a house on fire on Underhill Drive in University Heights. (Helen Pike/CBC)

A home in northwest Calgary was damaged Monday morning after a lightning strike sparked a fire.

Two people in the home, both adults, escaped unharmed around 2:15 a.m. MT from the home in University Heights, the Calgary Fire Department said.

"Everybody got out fine because it just hit the roof, so the rest of the structure was fine," Battalion Chief Stu Laird said. "Largely the fire was in the attic. Our crews put that out."

The fire destroyed part of the roof and travelled into the home's electrical wiring, frying it, he said. A nearby tree also burned.

The couple were renting the home on Underhill Drive. Their child had been away at a sleepover that night, Laird said.

"It does happen when there's lightning overtop of the city. It will touch down," Laird said. "Sometimes it's very minor and sometimes it's more extensive."

Amazing no one was hurt, owner says

The owner of the property says it's amazing no one was injured.

"It's pretty messy inside, particularly in one bedroom," Simon Corrin told CBC News. "The roof is all burned out, the insulation is all over, there are fire marks up the walls.

"Fortunately the boy who sleeps in the bedroom was not there last night."

Property owner Simon Corrin says he's amazed no one was injured. (Helen Pike/CBC)

The fire was brought under control quickly, officials said. Firefighters had the couple vacate their home for the night so officials could watch for any remaining hotspots. As of 9:15 a.m. MT, crews continued to monitor the scene. 

A home inspector and fire investigator were also at the scene, assessing the damage and determining next steps.

Enmax also attended the scene to ensure the utility service was operating safely.

The fire was brought under control quickly, officials said. Firefighters had the couple vacate their home for the night. (Helen Pike/CBC)

With files from Helen Pike

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.