Calgary

Court delays block Keystone XL pipeline construction in 2019

An executive for the company proposing the Keystone XL oil pipeline from Canada's oilsands into the U.S. says it has missed the 2019 construction season due to court delays.

Plans to begin construction of the long-delayed pipeline got blocked last November

Construction on the Keystone XL pipeline won't happen this year. (Nati Harnik/The Associated Press/The Canadian Press)

An executive for the company proposing the Keystone XL oil pipeline from Canada's oilsands into the U.S. says it has missed the 2019 construction season due to court delays.

TransCanada executive vice president Paul Miller made the statement during a Friday earnings call with analysts. The company also announced it was changing its name to TC Energy Corp.

Plans to begin construction of the long-delayed pipeline got blocked last November when a federal judge in Montana ordered additional environmental reviews of the project.

U.S. President Donald Trump has been trying to push it through. He issued a new permit for Keystone last month.

The $8 billion line would carry up to 830,000 barrels (35 million gallons) of crude daily, along a route stretching from Canada to Nebraska.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.