Jonathan Denis court proceedings to continue in open court, judge rules
'We must maintain the fragile confidence the public has when it comes to politicians,' says lawyer
A Calgary judge this afternoon ruled the court matter involving a high-profile Tory in Alberta will proceed in open court beginning Thursday.
- Jim Prentice says he has confidence in Jonathan Denis, despite resignation
- Jonathan Denis resigns as justice minister amid 'legal proceedings'
The judge's ruling means reporters will now be allowed in the court room, but a publication ban will remain in effect.
Jonathan Denis resigned as justice minister last weekend after PC Leader Jim Prentice learned of Denis' court proceedings involving his estranged wife, Breanna Palmer.
Hearings held on Friday and Tuesday were in-camera and a publication ban protects the details.
Today, Palmer brought forward an application asking a Court of Queen's Bench judge to allow the rest of the matter to proceed in open court.
"We must maintain the fragile confidence the public has when it comes to politicians," said Palmer's lawyer Leigh Sherry.
Palmer's lawyer also argued that she has remained silent despite statements and comments from Denis, his lawyer and Prentice.
Denis was not present at the hearing and his lawyer told the judge he took no position on the application.
"My client does not want to be treated in any unique fashion," said Wise who told the judge that he would leave the decision in the hands of the court.
Whatever the judge decides, the publication ban will remain in effect.
Sources tell CBC News that Calgary police were called to the couple's home earlier this month.
No charges were laid. Denis remains the PC candidate in Calgary-Acadia.