Calgary

House fire in southeast Calgary sends man to hospital

One man was sent to hospital after a fire early Wednesday morning in McKenzie Towne in southeast Calgary.

No smoke alarms in house as 5 children and 2 other adults escape blaze uninjured

One man was sent to hospital after a fire early Wednesday morning in McKenzie Towne in southeast Calgary.

Fire crews were called to a two-storey house in the 1500 block of Prestwick Boulevard S.E. around 2:30 a.m. MT.

Smoke and flames were visible from the second floor as crews arrived and quickly brought the blaze under control.

Three adults and five children had already left the house, officials said. One man was taken to hospital with burns on his arms. No one else was injured. Investigators have determined there were no working smoke alarms in the home.

Fire officials are urging Calgarians to have smoke alarms in and outside every bedroom, and on every level of a home.

Working smoke alarms cut the risk of dying in a house fire in half, the fire department says. 

now