Calgary

Airdrie restaurant worker has confirmed case of hepatitis A, says AHS

Alberta Health Services says anyone who ate at Zenbu Japanese Restaurant in Airdrie, Alta., between June 15 and 29 may have been exposed to hepatatis A.

Anyone who ate at Zenbu Japanese Restaurant between June 15 and 29 may have been exposed

An employee who prepared food at an Airdrie, Alta., restaurant has a confirmed case of hep A. (CBC)

Alberta Health Services says anyone who ate at Zenbu Japanese Restaurant in Airdrie, Alta., between June 15 and 29 may have been exposed to hepatatis A.

The agency says they've confirmed a worker who prepared food there had the infection, which can be spread through food and beverages if the infected person preparing the items doesn't properly wash their hands after using the washroom.

The restaurant is located at 5104 35 MacKenzie Way S.W.

AHS says it has inspected the restaurant and it's been cleaned and is operating safely.

AHS says those who ate at the restaurant on June 27, 28 and 29 may be eligible for post-exposure prophylaxis immunization and should call Health Link at 811 immediately to assess their exposure and risk.

People can only be immunized within 14 days of exposure to prevent illness, and the agency says a single dose of vaccine is sufficient.

Immunizations available

Immunization clinics for those people will be held in Airdrie in the next few days. 

Anyone who ate at the restaurant during that time period and who is experiencing any of these symptoms should call their doctor or 811 immediately:

  • Tiredness.
  • Poor appetite.
  • Nausea and vomiting.
  • Abdominal pain and fever.
  • Dark-coloured urine.
  • Light-coloured stools.
  • Yellowing of eyes and skin several days later. 

AHS said people, especially young children, can also get the liver infection without symptoms — but those people are still infectious to others.

The illness can occur up to 50 days after being exposed.

The case comes just a couple of weeks after another hep A case at a different Airdrie restaurant. 

Immunization clinic instructions for those exposed at that time caused confusion for some, after they were told they required a second vaccine. 

AHS said then, and this time, that a single immunization is sufficient.