Hatchet and knives found in alley where man was shot dead by police

Investigators found a hatchet and multiple knives in the alley where police fatally shot a man after he jumped from a second-floor balcony in southwest Calgary and "confronted" officers, ASIRT says.

ASIRT says police talked with man for 30 minutes before he jumped from balcony and moved toward officers

A man jumped from a second-floor balcony and was shot when he moved toward officers on Saturday, later dying. The victim did not have a criminal history, ASIRT said Monday. (Anis Heydari/CBC)

Investigators found a hatchet and multiple knives in the Calgary alley where a man was shot and killed by police on Saturday after jumping from a second-floor balcony and "confronting" officers, says the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team.

ASIRT, which investigates all police shootings in the province, also said the man shot was a 43-year-old Calgarian with no criminal record.

The incident started around 9 p.m. when someone called police about a disturbance in an apartment building on the 600 block of 68 Avenue S.W. 

According to an ASIRT news release, the man causing the disturbance was "pacing, yelling and causing banging noises in the hallway and inside his apartment."

Police entered the building and positioned officers in the alley, according to ASIRT.

The man refused to open his door and officers in the alley tried speaking with him when he went to the balcony doors. 

Man 'confronted' two officers, ASIRT says

"At approximately 9:30 p.m., the man jumped from the second-floor balcony to the alley below and confronted two officers," reads the news release. 

"He moved toward one of the officers, resulting in the officer firing a single shot from his service firearm."

The man died in hospital the next day. 

He has not been identified publicly by police.

Calgary police said their officers tried talking to the man for about 30 minutes before the fatal situation escalated. 

The officer who fired his weapons was a patrol member and has been on the force for 10 years, said deputy chief Bob Ritchie on Sunday. The officer is now on a 30-day leave.