Photos of suspects, vehicles released by police in alleged organized crime homicide

Police have released photos of suspects they believe are connected to what they're calling a targeted homicide that left a 49-year-old man dead in northwest Calgary.

Bikramjit Dhindsa of Calgary was found dead early Sunday morning

This man is one of several suspects in what police believe to be a targeted homicide in the Hamptons. (Calgary Police Service)

Police have released photos of suspects they believe are connected to what they're calling a targeted homicide that left a 49-year-old man dead in northwest Calgary.

Bikramjit Dhindsa was killed on the weekend after four people entered a home in the 100 block of Hampstead Close N.W., the Calgary Police Service said Wednesday morning.

"From what we know right now, there certainly [are] the hallmarks of organized crime," homicide investigator Staff Sgt. Martin Schiavetta said.

"Obviously when you have a targeted homicide that appears to be planned, we are speaking about some level of organized crime and sophistication."

Police are looking into possible connections with other recent homicides in Calgary, he said. They're also in touch with police in Vancouver to consider connections with violence on the Lower Mainland.

Police went public with Dhindsa's name and the surveillance camera photos in hopes of prompting tips from the public. Schiavetta said he hopes someone will come forward — including one of the five people caught in the surveillance photos.

"Like any homicide, people have different levels of involvement," he told reporters. "We are really hoping that someone within the community or someone who was involved in this event contacts us."

A security camera caught suspects entering the home, apparently trying to obscure their faces from the camera. (Calgary Police Service)

The images show four suspects entering the home, several vehicles and a driver.

The time stamp on one image shows men waiting outside the home's door at 9:33 p.m. on Saturday.

Three of the four appeared to be trying to cover their faces from the security camera on the front step.

This car was spotted on camera before 1 p.m. on Saturday and again that evening around the time the suspects arrived. (Calgary Police Service)

Police found Dhindsa dead inside the home after being called at 3 a.m. on Sunday.

An autopsy was done Monday, and his identity was released to the public Wednesday.

The forensic investigation at the home, which was rented from a landlord, has concluded but officers are keeping details about what was found close to their chests, Schiavetta said.

The cause of Dhindsa's death won't be released either, he said.

Around 3 a.m. Sunday, officers were called to a residence in the Hamptons community in Calgary. Homicide investigators are working on the case. (Helen Pike/CBC)

A picture of the scene was pieced together from surveillance video from multiple homes and businesses, Schiavetta said.

As a result, they believe some sort of an altercation occurred between the suspects and Dhindsa. The suspects fled shortly after in a four-door SUV driven by a fifth person. Their departure was caught on video.

They say someone may have witnessed the suspects' vehicle, a Nissan Rogue, in the area as the surveillance video captures other cars passing by.

Police say the suspects got into a four-door SUV, shown with the interior light on in this photo, that was driven by a fifth person. (Calgary Police Service)

Officers have released images of the four-door SUV, as well as a red car with a black stripe and a spoiler.

The Nissan Rogue is pictured leaving the scene in photos time-stamped minutes after the suspects arrived.

Police also released images of the red car parked in the driveway shortly before 1 p.m. on Saturday, time stamps suggest, and again at the same time the suspects arrived at the home around 9:30 p.m. It remained in place the next morning when reporters arrived on scene.

A spokesperson for police says the red car was not used by suspects but officers believe the picture may spark information from the public.

Police would not elaborate on the suspected motive behind the alleged attack.

These suspects were spotted on surveillance video entering the home where a man was later found dead. (Calgary Police Service)

Around 9:30 p.m., photos show one man arriving in a blue sweatsuit with the hood done up. He covered his face with a white gloved hand. On departure, the camera caught him wearing a blue glove with white trim on the same hand.

The photos also show two men in sweaters with their hoods drawn. One man wore a tuque with the hood pulled tight to only show his nose. The other wore a ball cap and sported a beard and mustache.

This image from surveillance video shows a suspect leaving the residence around 9:39 p.m., minutes after arriving. (Calgary Police Service)

A third wore a black jacket with white trim around the hood, a ball cap and fabric covering his face.

One of the people seen departing had stripes around the bottom of his shirt.

One suspect had stripes on his top. (Calgary Police Service)

Police are in frequent contact with Dhindsa's family, Schiavetta said, and they're interviewing friends, as well.

He was a renter at the home, and the detective would not say whether he knew the suspects. It was the first time police had been called to that address.

"We do feel the pressure and our job as a police service is to ensure public safety," the investigator said, stressing the homicide is not believed to be random.

"That's why we want people in the community to work with police. The faster that we can bring resolution to this case and some of the other outstanding homicides, the better it will be."

Police are asking anyone with information to call the non-emergency line at 403-266-1234, the homicide tip line at 403-428-8877, or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477 or online at


  • An earlier version of this story said police were seeking suspects and a red car in the homicide but police later clarified that the car was not used by the suspects. As well, the homicide occurred on Hampstead Close N.W., not Hampton Close as originally reported.
    May 15, 2019 11:32 AM MT


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.