Needles, razor blades found in Halloween candy spurs RCMP warning to parents
Child became ill after eating a candy in Clive, Alta,
Parents are being urged to check their children's Halloween treats after reports of finding a razor blade in a bag, sewing needles in chocolate bars and a child becoming ill after eating a piece of candy.
The incidents were reported to RCMP in Cochrane, Okotoks and Clive, Alta.
- Nearly all Halloween candy tampering reports are hoaxes, expert says
- Ottawa girl planted needles in own Halloween candy, police say
The child becoming sick after trick-or-treating happened in Clive, located near Lacombe. Symptoms included dilated pupils, pale skin and breaking out into a sweat. The candy is an orange sugared disc with a black centre, approximately the size of a loonie.
Police are urging people to throw out any candy that matches this description. Anyone with information should call Blackfalds RCMP at 403-885-3300.
Cochrane RCMP are investigating another report of children finding sewing needles in their candy on Oct. 31.
A parent discovered the needles in an O'Henry and a Kit Kat bar. The children were trick-or-treating on the west side of Glen Eagles in the town just west of Calgary.
In Okotoks, police are asking parents to check candy after receiving a report of a parent finding a razor blade loose in their child's candy bag. The blade was discovered after the child dumped his candy into a bowl.
The child was trick-or-treating in the Cimarron area. RCMP are urging people to report similar incidents.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.