Ground veal sold at Calgary's Italian Store recalled for possible E. coli contamination
The recall includes veal sold between Dec. 23, 2019 and Jan. 13
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has issued a recall for Scarpone's Italian Store brand frozen ground veal for possible E. coli contamination.
The recall, issued Monday, includes all frozen ground veal with UPC codes beginning with 0200904 sold between Dec. 23, 2019 and Jan. 13.
The Italian Store is located at 5140 Skyline Way in northeast Calgary.
The CFIA said the recall was triggered by a food safety investigation, which could lead to further product recalls. There have been no reported illnesses associated with the veal.
Food contaminated by E. coli may not look or smell spoiled but can still make you sick, the CFIA said.
"Symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, mild to severe abdominal cramps and watery to bloody diarrhea. In severe cases of illness, some people may have seizures or strokes, need blood transfusions and kidney dialysis or live with permanent kidney damage. In severe cases of illness, people may die," the agency cautioned.
Anyone who suspects they have gotten sick from a recalled product should call their doctor.