Alberta's EI numbers continue to climb
61,300 now collecting employment insurance in the province
Statistics Canada says more than 61,000 people were on employment insurance in November — an increase of 2.7 per cent over the previous month.
- EI claims rose 9.2% in the year to November with Alberta hardest hit
- INSIGHT | A meditation on Calgary in our turbulent times
That's more than double the number of people in the province collecting EI compared to November 2014.
In Calgary, there was an increase of 3.3 per cent compared to October 2015.
Statistic Canada also broke down the monthly increases in Alberta per sector:
- Business, finance and administrative sectors was 5.5 per cent.
- Natural and applied sciences was 3.1 per cent.
- Management was a three per cent.
- Trades, transport or equipment operation increased by 1.9 per cent.
"On a year-over-year basis, the number of beneficiaries whose last job was in natural and applied sciences nearly tripled. Increases of similar magnitude were also recorded for those whose last job was in processing, manufacturing and utilities, and in primary industry," said the report.