Lethbridge teacher sentenced to 4 years for making, distributing child porn
Dropbox account on Dwayne Schnell's computer had 150 images of students
A former teacher in Lethbridge, Alta., has been sentenced to four years in federal prison for making, possessing and distributing child pornography.
Dwayne Schnell, 37, was employed as a teacher at École La Vérendrye, where he taught grades 7-12, in the French school division the Conseil Scolaire FrancoSud, at the time of his arrest.
"That was one of the most troubling aspects of this case," said Crown prosecutor Carolyn Ayre, referring to Schnell's profession.
- Crown asks for 5-year sentence for Lethbridge teacher who pleaded guilty on child porn charges
- Former Lethbridge teacher pleads guilty to making, distributing child pornography
Schnell first came to the police's attention after the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children received a report from U.S.-based video chatting service Skype that one of its users had uploaded an image of child pornography.
Police executed a search warrant and seized computers from Schnell's home, finding a Dropbox and other "cloud" storage accounts online.
Additional charges were laid when the centre received a second report of child pornography being uploaded to a Yahoo Messenger account under the same name and IP address as Schnell's Skype account.
Hundreds of images
Cloud accounts belonging to Schnell contained 150 images of students taken without their knowledge, some of which were deemed child pornography.
More than 1,000 images and 600 video files were found, many of which were shared on different platforms.
Schnell's lawyer, Greg White, said that despite a psychiatric report that found his client was not remorseful, Schnell feels bad and will continue to undergo treatment, as he has been for 16 months.
"He has a heart of gold. But for whatever reason he became curious, looked at this material and continued to look at this material," White said.
"Unfortunately, behind that heart of gold, in quiet moments and dark moments, he was a different person."
- MORE CRIME NEWS | Judge rejects convicted bank teller's bid to be released on bail pending appeal
- MORE CRIME NEWS | Police recover suspect's vehicle after Airdrie rest stop stabbing
- Read more articles by CBC Calgary, like us on Facebook for updates and subscribe to our CBC Calgary newsletter for the day's news at a glance.
With files from Francois Joly