Where can you take your dog in this Calgary deep freeze?
Southcentre until Friday and a whole lot more
Some dogs like this ruff weather but some don't. So where can you take Rover when it's this cold?
Where can you take your leashed, generally well-behaved dog in the city? Here's Ainslie's far from exhaustive list to get you started:
- Pet stores like PetSmart, Petland and Pet Valu.
- Garden centres like Golden Acre, Blue Grass and Greengate.
- Many liquor stores but not Calgary Co-op.
- Most banks.
- Calgary International Airport.
- Bass Pro Shops.
- Canadian Tire.
- Holt Renfrew.
Earlier this week Southcentre mall said it would allow dogs in the mall with some exceptions. Shortly after, the mall retracted that position saying they had "overstated our ability to welcome pets."
They've since made an exception and will allow dogs in the mall until this Friday (Jan. 17) while they review their policy.
But there are conditions, and many stores have their own specific policies. Here are some general rules to avoid being put in the dog house:
- A four to six foot leash instead of those retractable ones.
- If your dog is reactive or aggressive or easily excited, it's probably to leave them at home.
- Avoid letting people pet your dog, because it can teach behaviours you want to discourage.
- If you dog likes to mark territory, use a doggie diaper.
- And in that territory, always clean up after your furry friend.
With files from Jenny Howe and The Homestretch