City set to remove some Occupy Calgary tents
Tents will be removed if found unoccupied on Tuesday
Occupy Calgary demonstrators have been put on notice: Starting Tuesday, tents found unoccupied will be removed from the site at Olympic Plaza.
A public notice announcing the move was posted at the site on Monday, with fines of up to $1,000 possible for offenders.
"There are a few people who have to get up and go to work in the morning and they don't come back until five," she told CBC News.
"That's the only concern that I see. We'll just have to make sure that we keep an eye on their tents. If it does look like someone's questioning the occupancy of their tents, we'll make sure we have someone in it."
Ald. Diane Colley-Urquart, a vocal opponent of the protest camp, remains skeptical.
"I'll see what happens in the morning," she told CBC News. "But I'm sure there will be another excuse for not getting rid of these squatters."
At the site on Monday morning, protester Brent Talbot was doing what he said he's been doing every day for the last month — sweeping up cigarette butts around camp.
Despite wind and cold, public criticism and bylaw fines, he said his goal simple: "Stay here, stay clean, stay peaceful and stay happy."