City of Calgary creating designated Car2Go parking spots downtown
45 news stalls will be on all four corners of an intersection, where other vehicles don't fit
New parking spots designated specifically for Car2Go will soon be in place in downtown Calgary.
The pilot project is being launched by the city in effort to cut down on clusters of Car2Go vehicles taking up parking spots in the downtown core.
Richard Caruana says he often sees clusters of the small white cars taking up space in the two-hour parking zone outside of his barber shop.
"I do hear some guys who are concerned about the parking, it's usually people who are just looking for interim parking downtown," he said.
The city hears similar complaints, so it's creating 45 new parking spots designated for Car2Go.
"[We're] hoping that those four corners will have all these spots on them that the Car2Go cars can park in rather than parking where the regular sized cars can park," said Jessica Bell with the roads department.
"Kind of trying to just ease that parking tension that we can see in the downtown core."
The city has already started painting lines for the new parking spots. It's hoping to have signs in place and the stalls ready to go by spring.
If the pilot project works well, it could expand to include other inner-city neighbourhoods.
The first phase of Car2Go parking stalls will be located at:
- Sixth Street S.W. intersections of Second Avenue S.W., Third Avenue S.W. and Fourth Avenue S.W.
- Fourth Street S.W., at the intersections of Third Avenue S.W. and Fourth Avenue S.W.
- Second Street S.W., at the intersections of Fourth Avenue S.W. and Fifth Avenue S.W.
- First Street S.W., at the intersections of Third Avenue S.W. and Fourth Avenue S.W.
- Near Eighth Avenue S.W., at the intersections at Sixth Street S.W., Ninth Street S.W., and 10th Street S.W.
- Ninth Avenue S.W. at Seventh Street S.W
- Seventh Avenue S.W. at Fourth Street S.W.