Calgary cancels events in city parks and public spaces until June 30 in latest COVID-19 update
Officials will revoke permits for events in public parks and other public spaces
Calgary has cancelled all city-run events until June 30 to help manage the COVID-19 pandemic, officials announced in Friday's daily news conference.
Tom Sampson, chief of the Calgary Emergency Management Agency, told reporters that officials would revoke permits for events in public parks and other public spaces.
Mayor Naheed Nenshi and Calgary Fire Department Chief Steve Dongworth also spoke at the press conference.
Dongworth said his firefighters will be offering "drive-by birthdays," where they will drive fire trucks to people's home to help them celebrate.
Specifically, the offer will be made to kids aged four to 12, and to those aged 75 or older.
The program will run until the end of May. People can apply online at calgary.ca/birthdaysurprise.
Dongworth said they're happy to make it a surprise.
"Hopefully that will make a huge difference," the chief said.
At briefings earlier this week, officials announced that Calgary Transit routes would be reduced starting April 6 due to declining ridership, finances and drivers being affected by the pandemic.
As of late Thursday's official count, the Calgary zone was home to roughly 60 per cent of Alberta's confirmed COVID-19 cases.
Health officials estimate the actual figure of coronavirus cases is higher, as not all infected people are ill enough to warrant a test or medical attention.