CBC Calgary journalists nominated for 16 regional RTDNA awards
Awards recognize excellence in digital and broadcast journalism
Journalists at CBC Calgary have been nominated for 16 Radio Television Digital News Association awards in the prairie region.
The RTDNA awards recognize and honour the best work produced in broadcast and digital journalism.
"I'm not only proud of the number of my colleagues who were nominated, but also for the range of stories recognized across all platforms. We were shortlisted for breaking news and ongoing coverage, for stories of COVID and coal mining and orphan wells, but also for features on violin makers and mural festivals," said Helen Henderson, senior director of journalism and programming for CBC Calgary and southern Alberta.
"We had success in the digital realm, in radio, with visual storytelling and on social platforms. In yet another tough year for Calgary, I believe we served our audiences with excellence in journalism."
These are the CBC submissions that were nominated as prairie region award finalists.
- Breaking News (Large Market): Biden to cancel Keystone XL on 1st day in office
- Excellence in Social: What's going on with coal in Alberta?
- Two nominations for Feature News (Large Market): What it's like to die from COVID-19 and how it feels for those left behind and Ready or not: The time is nearing for the oilsands to release tailings water
- Graphics (Large Market): These graphics show just how deeply COVID-19 has infiltrated Alberta
- Continuing Coverage: Calgary wrestles with the high cost of food
- Enterprise: Inside Two Meat Plants
- Audio-Visual Storytelling (Large Market): Social messages part of BUMP festival murals: Dan McGarvey/James Young
- Excellence in Video: Violin Maker school: Monty Kruger
- Two nominations for Excellence in Editing (Large Market): Word Nerd: The Calgary Eyeopener and Elder millenial: This is the year they turn 40
- Excellence in Sound: 99 Red Balloons
- Feature News (Large Market): Inside Tower Cleaners: The Calgary Eyeopener
- News – Live Special Events: Calgary Votes Radio Special
- Radio Newscast (Large Market): CBC Calgary 4:30 P.M. Radio News: Friday November 5, 2021