Carbon monoxide sends 5 to hospital on Wednesday morning

Five people were rushed to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday morning, including one who was found unconscious inside a temporary office at a construction site in Calgary's East Village.

25 people were on the East Village construction site that was evacuated

Calgary fire crews found a person unconscious from carbon monoxide poisoning in a temporary office at a construction site in the East Village. (David Bell/CBC)

Five people were rushed to hospital in Calgary with carbon monoxide poisoning on Wednesday morning. 

The incident took place at a building under construction in the 600 block of Seventh Avenue S.E. 

Calgary firefighters say they responded just after 7 a.m. and found an unconscious man inside the worksite office, which was located in a parkade.

"Reports indicate that the worker may have been in the office for approximately an hour," reads a news release.

A Calgary Fire Department spokesperson says it's believed a heater inside the office gave off the carbon monoxide, although that has yet to be confirmed. The area where the unconscious man was found had readings as high as 400 parts per million. 

All workers were evacuated from the site and five of them were taken to hospital. All were in non-life-threatening condition.

Twenty-five people in total were on the job site that was evacuated.

Occupational Health and Safety is investigating.