Calgary's hot spots for parking tickets
A CBC Marketplace investigation shows parkades top the list of ticket troubles
A CBC Marketplace investigation into parking ticket trends in six cities across Canada has revealed that city-operated parkades here in Calgary are ticket hot spots.
The investigation looked at city-operated parking on streets, in parkades and outdoor lots. The results show that parkades in Calgary's core represented five out of the six top spots for parking tickets in 2015 through the city's ParkPlus payment and enforcement system.
The City Centre Parkade, at 340 10th Avenue S.W., topped the list with 8,564 tickets last year.
Even though the city issued 283,070 parking tickets in 2015, that's still fewer tickets per capita than Halifax, Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg.
Additionally, the Calgary Parking Authority says 23,292 of those tickets were appealed and 71 per cent of those were cancelled.
Calgary's parking ticket hot spots (2015)
- Calgary Centre Parkade, 340 - 10th Avenue S.W. - 8,564 tickets
- Calgary Zoo's north parking lot - 4,735 tickets
- Parkade at 115 - 4th Avenue S.W. - 3,662 tickets
- City Hall Parkade, 322 - 9th Avenue S.E. - 2,898 tickets
- Parkade at 628 - 9th Avenue S.W. - 2,769 tickets
- Convention Centre Parkade, 727 - 1st Street S.E. - 2,375 tickets
- Outdoor lot at 208 - 9th Avenue S.W. - 1,654 tickets
- McDougall Centre Parkade, 455 - 6th Street S.W. - 1,237 tickets
- Outdoor lot at 724 - 4th Street S.E. - 1,116 tickets
- 16th Avenue S.W. between 7th Street and 8th Street - 902 tickets
Click on the map to see where the those tickets were issued in downtown Calgary.
- To see which city-patrolled street parking zones get the most tickets, see: Calgary's most-ticketed parking zones: Top 20 spots for violations
- FULL CBC MARKETPLACE INVESTIGATION | What are the worst places to park in Canada? Here's what the data says
- Vehicle thefts prompt reminder from Calgary police not to leaves keys in ignition