Calgary extends ban on events on city-owned land to end of August
Extension of the ban affects 166 permitted events including Canada Day
The City of Calgary has extended the ban on events on city-owned land until Aug. 31.
Previously, the ban extended only until the end of June.
That means the cancellation of 166 permitted events, including the annual Canada Day celebrations.
Non-permitted events are not included in that tally.
Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi said this likely did not come as a surprise to Calgarians, but it's still hard to process all the losses in the city.
The announcement comes one day after both the Calgary Folk Fest and the Calgary Stampede announced their annual festivities would not go forward.
In addition to the ban, Calgary Emergency Management Agency chief Tom Sampson said bylaw officers are starting to issue tickets for non-compliance with health orders. He added the time for pleading ignorance is coming to an end.
He said two tickets have been issued, including one for selling hand sanitizer out of the back of a vehicle without a proper licence.
"If you did buy your hand sanitizer there, I would encourage you to throw it out," he said.
There have been 134 warning tickets issued to date.
Sampson said there will be parking closures in some areas, including Crescent Road, where crowds have been gathering to enjoy the view of downtown.
He said there will be increased education through a new ambassador program.