Calgary

Calgary man escapes RV blaze

A Calgary man narrowly escaped an RV fire near Hubalta Road S.E. Sunday morning after accidentally knocking over a propane heater onto a pillow.

A Calgary man narrowly escaped an RV fire near Hubalta Road S.E. Sunday morning after accidentally knocking over a propane heater onto a pillow.

Kerby MacLean was sitting with his dog Sport in the RV where he sometimes stays, which was parked across from a car wash parking lot, when the fire sparked. The place went up in flames in a matter of seconds.

Calgary firefighters responded to the blaze with five trucks and had the fire under control within an hour, but the structure was destroyed.

A fire Sunday morning destroyed a RV near Hubalta Road S.E. (Meghan Grant/CBC)

"You don't know how fast a pillow can catch everything else on fire," Maclean said as he stood beside the charred remains.

He thinks he saw his dog — who is almost blind — get out, but hasn't been able to find him since.

Maclean's search efforts for the dog were hampered by the fire department reports he had to fill out so they could start looking inside for some of his things, like money and keys.  

"I gotta wait for my keys and look for my dog," he said. "I'll find him, because I won't leave until I do."

now